Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tutorial - Crochet Flowers



Several months ago my sister told me about some cute crochet flower and headband sets at Walmart.  You could buy them separately so you could mix and match colors.  After taking a quick look at them I thought, "I can do that."  So here is a tutorial for the flower portion!  I’d like to do the headband portion as well, but I can’t find them in Walmart anymore and I don’t know if my memories that good.  We’ll have to see…


It's an easy and quick crochet project.  Enjoy!

CROCHET FLOWER
Pattern Notes
Pattern uses a size F/5 (3.7MM) hook and light weight (#3) yarn.
Ch 3 counts as first stitch
(Variations of flowers are shown at the bottom using different hooks sizes and a variation in stitches.) 

Abbreviations
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
tc – treble crochet
st – stitch
sl st – slip stitch
sk - skip

R1: Start with a *magic ring.  Ch 3 in the magic ring then 14 dc.  Pull the ring tight. (15)

*If you are unsure of how to do this, here is a great tutorial.  If you’ve never used a magic ring for crocheting in the round before I highly recommend it as it makes that center hole MUCH smaller.

R2: ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each stitch around. Join with sl st in top of beginning ch 3. (30)
R3: ch5, *sk 2 st, sc in next st, ch 4* repeat * section around.  End with sk 2 st, then join with sl st in first st. (10 arches)
R4: *5 tc in first arch, sl st in sc* repeat * section around. Join with sl st in base of beginning tc. (10 scallops) See note at very bottom to understand why it is important to join in the base of the beginning tc.

Finishing Off: trim and weave in ends.  You can then attach whatever kind of hair clip you’d like to them, or put them on a scarf, head band, bags, the sky's the limit!


VARIATIONS FROM PATTERN ABOVE

1. Uses size G hook.  R1 - 16 stitch count.  R2 - 32 stitch count.  R3 - 11 arches and dc in place of sc.  R4 - 11 arches and scallops.*
2. Uses size G hook. R3 - dc in place of sc.*
3. Uses size G hook.
4. Done using original pattern above.


*You'll notice each of these flowers have a scallop that stick our above the rest.  That is because on R4 I joined the last scallop at the top of the first tc rather than the base.  I learned.  And know you can learn from my mistake too!



















13 comments:

  1. I love these flowers...especially how big they are! Adorable!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Let me know if you go to make them and you have questions!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tutorial. One can't have enough ways to make cute little crocheted flowers.

      Delete
  2. These remind me of dollies my grandmother made. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all there so pretty! now im wishing i knew how to crochet!
    I'm your newest follower from the two yellow birds blog hop! I'd love if you'd follow me back!

    Julianne
    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flowers!

    Thanks for the pattern!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty!! Thanks so much for stopping by Mop It Up Mondays & linking up!!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so pretty!!! I love it! Thanks for also sharing this at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! I'd love to put these on headbands or pretty much anything! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for such a cute little tutorial! i'm definitely going to have to try them. :)

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such darling little flowers! Thanks for sharing this at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOoooo, new flowers to crochet!! YAY!! Thanks for the great tutorial and for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I wasn't so obsessed with my new sewing machine I'd make time to learn how to crochet! Thanks for sharing at Dwell on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!