Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Toddler Quiet Book

Man!  Between the holidays and getting ready for these twins to come I haven't been spending much time on the computer.  And since the twins will most likely be making their grand debut in two weeks there's a good chance that it is only going to get worse.

I do still have some projects to share with you, so we'll see if I can't get one or two in before they rock my world.

Back in September a friend of mine organized 16 of us to make Quiet Books together.  The idea was we would each pick a page to make and we would make 16 of that page.  The organizer made sure nobody was duplicating pages, and was our go to person.  Once they were all made and turned into her, she divided them so that we each received 16 different pages.  Brilliant!  It was easier, faster, and cheaper to do it this way.

The goal was to get the pages to everyone in early December so that they could be put together for Christmas presents.  I decided that I would hold on to mine until the twins came so I could use it as something to help entertain my 2 year old when I have two new babies to take care of.


Here is my finished project finally!  I bought extra Pellon to make the front and page covers.  I covered them with some fun fabric and hand sewed on the foam letters.  I tried using my sewing machine, but I didn't like the look of it.  Of course!  Don't we all tend to prefer the look the more complicated methods give us.

I put some eyelets in each page then joined them with metal rings.  Even with 1 1/2 inch rings I couldn't fit all of the pages.  I figured I could switch them out every so often to help revive her interest in it.


There were some fantastic pages made: Barnyard Finger Puppets, Tic Toc Clock, Abacus, Match the Socks, and many more.  I decided to do the Peek-a-Boo Mittens page.  I'll be honest, I wanted to pick one that was cute, but not too difficult to do.  I'm still amazed someone chose to do the Barnyard Finger Puppets 16 different times.  Wow!


I wanted the kids to be able to put their hands in the mittens if they wanted.  So I made a few trial sizes and tested them out on my little one.  I wanted to embellish the mittens somehow, but again, didn't want to make it too time consuming.  So I chose a decorative stitch on my sewing machine and went to town.



Rather than buying photo pockets which were a little more costly than I liked, I cut page protectors down to the size I needed and sewed them on with a zig zag stitch.  I ended up getting four photo pockets out of one page protector.  Not bad, huh?


Then for the wording I didn't want to write "Peek-a-Boo" sixteen different times.  Lazy, huh?  So I used my method for printing Fabric Labels and printed it out on fabric then sewed it on to the page.


I finished it all off with some cute little snowflakes I bought from JoAnns and there you have it!  A fairly simple, but cute version of Peek-a-Boo Mittens.


I still haven't given the book to my toddler yet.  Hopefully it will provide hours of fun, educational play to help keep her entertained!

P.S. - If this post is full of typos, it's because I was playing pretend with fish, horses, cars, and ducks with my toddler as I typed it up.  Where would we be as moms if we couldn't multi-task?

10 comments:

  1. Great Idea! Love it please share http://wallisfarmsdailywalk.blogspot.com/2013/01/linky-party-2.html blessings wallisfarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! And the mittens with the picture is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! Love the mittens with the picture..so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I love that you & friends made a cooperative project of it - what a great idea! Sure to be enjoyed & loved by your toddler. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! Maybe one day you could let me take a peek at it? I'm thinking that I might need to make one for my little one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute book!!! I'm pinning this! I love the peek-a-boo page!

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup.html
    Lenetta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for stopping in and sharing your inspirational craft with our Crafty Showcase last week! You rock!

    We can't wait for you to stop in and share more of your ideas with us. The Crafty Showcase is open from Friday midnight until Thursday noon! http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/01/12/saturday-showcase-craft-project-linky-15/

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!