Saturday, March 17, 2012

Treasure Box


g*rated



My responsibility in my church is to teach music to the 3-7 year olds.  As you can imagine it's quite a treat.  :) They are so much fun and definitely keep me on my toes.  It's always fun to ask for volunteers to be my helper or play a game.  You can imagine that about 90% of the 30-40 hands shoot up and nearly pull the kids up out of their seats.  I try to only pick on those who have been reverent and participating, and I TRY to not call on the same kids all of the time, but it's a lot to keep track of.


I don't remember where I got this idea, but I'm sure I read it somewhere online.  I've created a Treasure Box containing coins with the names of each sweet little child on them.  I'll use it to pick helpers whenever I need one.  However, they'll only get to help if they have been listening and participating.


I plan on introducing the box to them by talking about how treasure is something that is valuable and that is worth a lot.  I'll then talk about how they are valuable to God and how they are "treasures" to Him.  We'll read Isaiah 13:12 - "I will make a man more precious than fine gold..." and Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 - "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."  (Not familiar with the Doctrine and Covenants?  It's considered scripture for those of us that belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  You can learn more at www.mormon.org.)


This little box wasn't difficult to put together.  I was planning on building one myself and had even found a few tutorials online.  Then I found this unfinished box at Hobby Lobby for about $3.  That was a no brainer!  I used stain that was left over from my chair refinish and Pro Deo sign.  That stain is now DONE!  It was sludge at this point and I was barely able to scratch out enough for this box.  My wonderful friend cut the letting out for me on her Cricut.   For the coins I purchased 1" wood discs online, spray painted them gold, then printed out the kids names on 1" clear, round labels.  Wa-lah!  I had my treasure box complete with treasure.

Hopefully the kids like it on Sunday!



11 comments:

  1. this is so cute! i've seen a lot of ideas out there for helpers but this is so unique and i love it! i'm pinning it just in case i ever have one of those callings. ;) thanks for linking up!
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - the treasure chest looks fabulous! what a great find!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea and you've put it together so beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing this with us on Natural Mothers Network's Seasonal Celebration.
    Next week you should return to a super fast site!
    Warmly, Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent idea for choosing primary helpers. I think that it would be a pretty great way to set up for picking songs out on a review day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome idea! I'm in the Primary presidency and I'm gonna show this to our Primary music leader!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love that you are reinforcing how special they all are. Sure beats the popsicle sticks we use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure they will love it! They'll love that it's so hands on and the fact that you're giving meaning to it makes it that much better. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, how adorable is this. Wow, what a great creative idea. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the kids will LOVE this!! It is so cute!! If I ever get called to be a music leader I am totally using this idea. LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing this as well at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is great!! the kids will Love it!!

    thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday.
    hope to see you there again tomorrow

    Natasha xx

    serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!