I took one of her basic shirts and set to work making a pattern from it. I don't have pattern paper so I used old wrapping paper. It works great except for the fact it keeps wanting to roll up!
I traced the front, back and sleeve of the shirt onto the paper the best I could and added a quarter inch seam allowance.
My mom's been cleaning out her fabric stash, and lots of it is finding it's way to my house. I picked out some of the cute cotton she brought over and started tracing and cutting away.
As I started to sew the bodice together I was encouraged and excited. Then I put it over my little ones head to test it. Uh-oh. It went on okay, but it was a stinker to get off of her! The material I chose had no stretch to it. And as many of you know, that's a VERY undesirable trait for a toddler shirt. Especially for my little girl. She has a big head! Seriously!! We're talking in the 90th percentile!
|You can see some of that stretchy material on the side in this photo.|
I made my own bias tape from the same material to go around the neck. I know I could have used some white bias tape, but I liked the matching look better. I attached a button on one side, then rolled up a small piece of fabric to create the loop that attaches to the button. A simple way to create a clasp for a shirt.
And now for the fun part. You know, the part where I try to get a picture of the two year old wearing the shirt. Ya right! Here were some of the first attempts....
And finally the money shot. Phew!
I haven't had a chance to make another one yet, but if I do maybe I'll try to come up with a tutorial...