Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Baby's Room Redo

the Grant Life


 We live in a large house for three people.  Six bedrooms, three baths.  We got a great deal on the house and wanted to buy some place that we could grow into, rather than have to move again in a few years as our family grows.  It's been great!  My hubby has his man cave, I have my sewing room, we have a toy room/guest room, and another guest room.  We're often known as Hotel Fifield because of the steady flow of family and friends staying with us for a night or two.

In the three years that we have lived here I have only painted one of the rooms.  The baby's room.  It was the first thing I did after I stopped working full-time when I was pregnant.  The room was cute before, it just wasn't...us.  Does that make sense?  It had wide yellow and white stripes painted on the walls, with a border of bears.  Cute, but not us.

Good view of the stripes

Close up of the bears.  They were stickers that we had to peel off and
remove some glue residue.



So my five month pregnant self and my mom attacked the room with Behr's Paint and Primer.  I knew I was having a little girl, but I wanted something that could work for a boy or a girl.  This room will always be "the baby's room" because of it's proximity to our room.  So if baby #2 or #3 ends up being a boy, I didn't want to have to repaint it because it was overly feminine.  So I went with a baby blue and brown color scheme and "girled" it up by adding flowers and other feminine things.


The flower hanging rack on the door came from Real Deals.  It was red, so a little brown spray paint helped it fit into the decor.  The lamp came from a dollar store, and I already owned the picture of Christ holding the little child.  The dresser was one my mom had used for us as kids and was storing.  I gave it a fresh coat of paint and new hardware, and voila!  I had a new dresser.  Ya gotta love furniture made out of real wood.  It lasts FOREVER and your do so much with it!


I already had the teddy bear and lights.  I had bought the lights years ago for the first house I owned in 2005.  I planned on making one of the rooms in the house a library and wanted the cute lights in that room.  They never got hung up in that house, but I love them for the window decoration in the baby's room!

This photo was taken before I had the decorations up on the wall.

I bought the crib and bedding at Target.  I was so excited when I found bedding in the colors I wanted that wasn't meant exclusively for boys.  Yay for polka dots!  The blue baskets under the window came from Shopko, and the cubbies from Target.  As the room slowly came together I was more excited all the time.  Both for the room AND for the baby that was on the way.


I came up with this wall art using cheap wood products from Joanns and Michaels.  The flowers had stems on them that I cut off with a little saw, then I glued them to a thin piece of wood that I attached to the back of the frames.  I painted everything before I put it together using the sample paint I had bought for the room.  I think I figured that all four pieces cost a whole whopping $12!!  I felt really good about this creation and the little bit of money I put into them 


My hubby got me lamp complete with a dimmer switch for Mother's Day just before our little one made her grand debut.  The chair was another Shopko buy, and I love it!  It was the perfect cozy set-up for those LONG nursing sessions.


And finally here's her crib and decorated wall!  The flowers came from Ikea, and are actually lights that you can plug in.  I've kept the cords up in the flowers so far so I didn't have to worry about her getting tangled up in them.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that safety is more important than appearance!

I ordered the letters for her name from an online site than spray painted them brown.  It was so long ago I have no idea what site I got them from, but I love 'em!

There you have it.  My little girl's room redone so it now fits "us" a little bit better.  She's now almost two years old, and I still love her room.  To me that's a good sign when a room's decor can withstand the test of time!


18 comments:

  1. I love the room. The blue with brown works well. I love her name too. So cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh.. what a pretty color! I love that you used blue for Indy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt,

    What a fun room redo. I'm guessing you'll have a few years before your daughter is old enough to express her own opinions about her space. Enjoy it. That's why my girls' room is still in need of a redo. :)

    I spied your cute nursery at the NY Melrose linky party. I would love if you stopped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great room...you've done an outstanding job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nursery turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the transformation! It looks great! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The after is so pretty! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmygoodness, I love it! It's so cute and fun! Beautiful job!
    I found you at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/ - thanks for linking this cute lil' room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great makeover!
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful room!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out amazing! I love the blue and flower frames. I'm featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out awesome! I love the blue and the flower frames. I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the brown and blue together!! Your right it will be great for a boy too. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Brittney.. Im featuring Indy's super cute room tonight at the link party! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that room! I love the color and all the decor. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesday.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great transformation- love the colours too! Thanks for coming to Natural Mother's “Seasonal Celebration Sunday.” I would love to see you again next week!! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks FANTASTIC!! Love the soft blue on the walls. Just perfection :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!